Waggonner and ball logotype black
Waggonner and ball logotype white
190703 6654 squeezed for website 1000 187x0x3030x2026 q85

The Historic New Orleans Collection

Waggonner and ball logotype black

The Historic New Orleans Collection

A history museum expansion in the French Quarter composed of a restored 1816 courtyard house and large-scale exhibition wing

The Historic New Orleans Collection is a renowned institution dedicated to preserving the history and culture of New Orleans and the Gulf South. The HNOC’s assets include multiple historical buildings on two campuses in the Vieux Carré that serve museum, research, and publishing functions. Proceeding from comprehensive strategic planning, Waggonner & Ball's design expands existing facilities with restoration of the Seignouret-Brulatour House, reviving original features, including historical materials and colors, and carefully inserting a contemporary exhibition wing. Completed in April 2019, the restoration is home to a permanent French Quarter history exhibit, welcome center, gift shop, offices, and café, while the Tricentennial Wing addition comprises multiple generous galleries to host revolving exhibitions. Waggonner & Ball’s integration of old and new extends throughout the details, including the design of all gallery furniture, and to rooftop cooling towers, depressed below the line of sight, and special attention to light monitors and other roof elements, as all exterior surfaces fell under the architectural review of the Vieux Carré Commission. Awarded LEED Silver Certification, the project is one of the oldest LEED buildings in the country and the first to be certified in the French Quarter historical district.

2019jg23 503 4000px 800 0x0x1378x2066 q85
2019jg23 511 4000px 800 0x0x4000x2782 q85
160227 1293 800 0x0x1440x1800 q85
190528 5981 cropped 800 0x0x2400x3600 q85
2019jg23 519 800 0x0x1854x2779 q85
2019jg23 521 800 0x0x2994x4490 q85
2019jg23 522 4000px 800 0x0x4000x2822 q85
2019jg23 526 4000px 800 0x0x1384x2075 q85
190530 6305 800 0x0x2400x3600 q85
190530 6317 800 0x0x1200x1800 q85

Newly anchoring the HNOC’s Royal Street campus, the Seignouret-Brulatour House dates to 1816 and boasts a storied history, home over time to wine importers, furniture craftsmen, bohemian artists, and the state’s first television station. Waggonner & Ball’s design reenvisioned “Brulatour Court,” one of the best-known in the French Quarter, as the meeting place of old and new. Carefully articulated to preserve the scale of the courtyard, Tricentennial Wing quietly announces its presence while reflecting the historical courtyard space.

Respect for the historical fabric, bolstered by the HNOC’s commitment to conservation, informed all aspects of design. Antique pine, Massachusetts granite, and natural hydraulic lime plaster were reappropriated from the existing building into the new. Tricentennial Wing received a double-layered façade to match existing eave heights, tucking a taller concrete wall system behind the outer glass facade. At the courtyard, a long-hidden well was returned to prominence with a walkable glass cover, a reminder of the city’s high water table and connection to the Mississippi River. 

Site constraints and a commitment to historical preservation did not preclude environmental responsibility. In addition to LEED goals, the design incorporates large steel tanks (17,000 gallons total capacity) to intercept stormwater and relieve the city drainage system during peak rain events. Other design challenges included threading museum-grade HVAC systems through historical spaces with low clearances and devising temporary braces to stabilize existing brick party walls until new load-bearing walls at the addition were in place. Critical support elements include exhibition prep spaces, an emergency generator, a secure vehicle sallyport for deliveries, and a 1,000 cu. ft. custom elevator for transporting exhibit items and visitors alike.

.

2019jg23 537 4000px 800 0x0x4000x2661 q85
2019jg23 540 4000px 800 0x0x1560x2000 q85
2019jg23 544 4000px 800 0x0x4000x2216 q85
2019jg23 551 800 0x0x7042x4453 q85
2019jg23 547 4000px 800 0x0x4000x1818 q85
2019jg23 548 4000px 800 0x0x3764x2511 q85
160227 1365 retouched 800 0x0x4789x3200 q85
190612 6389 800 0x0x1397x933 q85
Hnoc 27 4000px 800 0x227x4000x2663 q85
Jackson hill 2019   french quarter by air edit alt 1 1200 20x61x2918x1823 q85
Hnoc section 1200 0x0x3000x3000 q85
Hnoc 1st plan 1200 0x0x3000x1050 q85
Hnoc 2nd plan 1200 0x0x3000x1050 q85
Hnoc 3rd plan 1200 0x0x3000x1050 q85

Major preservation efforts were necessitated by age and neglect but aided by research and field discoveries. Crews extensively leveled, repaired, and repointed the original brick and timber structure. The design team specified barrier systems to limit rising damp, and thermal analysis was utilized to identify concealed termite damage. Preservation at the street entailed removal of paint layers from granite façade elements and reconstruction of a long missing brick and plaster cornice and historical shop windows. Existing courtyard and carriageway flagstones were salvaged and reset. Herringbone brick flooring was recreated with historical accuracy after early examples were discovered beneath concrete slabs. A local stair specialist came out of retirement to restore an unusual cypress timber stairway. Skylights shown on 19th century maps were adapted to serve current exhibition needs. Returning a music room to the 1920s era involved cast plaster repairs, decorative painting, and the complete restoration of an Aeolian pipe organ.  

Waggonner & Ball

Sarah Weinkauf
Kenner Carmody
Jerry Blanchard

Contractor

Bywater Woodworks, Inc.

Consultants

Schrenk, Endom, & Flanagan Consulting Engineers, Inc.
TLC Engineering for Architecture
Tillotson Design Associates Lighting
Edward Dugger + Associates, P.A. Acoustics