Dinwiddie Hall is one of the three original buildings of Tulane University. Built in 1923 in the Richardsonian style, its grand limestone face looks across St. Charles Avenue toward Audubon Park. Waggonner & Ball’s complete renovation included new classrooms, faculty offices, meeting rooms and dry labs for the Department of Anthropology as well as exhibition and collection spaces for the Middle American Research Institute. Dinwiddie was the first LEED Gold certified building on the Tulane Campus, and the first building of its type in Louisiana to receive the LEED credit for recycling 75% of construction waste. Additionally, the project reused 95% of the exterior shell of the building and 50% of the interior doors and transoms.
One significant focus of this renovation was to solve chronic roof leaks which began soon after Dinwiddie Hall was completed. The building’s steeply pitched slate roof directed torrents of rainwater toward the parapet wall, a design flaw inherent to its Richardsonian style. Dormers linked to this parapet needed to be preserved as both a character-defining feature and to provide valuable daylight to the attic. Through sensitive detailing, the dormers were restored and the leaking was prevented by replacing the parapet between dormers with small areas of standing seam copper roofing, allowing rainwater to be directed to gutters while preserving the building’s historic character.